Yeronga Chiropractic and Wellness Center in south-side Brisbane provides fast and effective headache relief and correction.
According to WHO:
“Not only is a headache painful, but it is also disabling. In the Global Burden of Disease Study, updated in 2013, migraine on its own was found to be the sixth highest cause worldwide of years lost due to disability (YLD). Headache disorders collectively were third highest.
Headache disorders impose a recognizable burden on sufferers including sometimes substantial personal suffering, impaired quality of life and financial cost. Repeated headache attacks, and often the constant fear of the next one, damage family life, social life and employment. The long-term effort of coping with a chronic headache disorder may also predispose the individual to other illnesses. For example, anxiety and depression are significantly more common in people with migraine than in healthy individuals”. (WHO: Headache disorders
The Key facts
- Headache disorders are among the most common disorders of the nervous system.
- 47% will suffer a headache ranging from a few per year to daily
- Frequent or severe headaches including migraine in the past 12 months were reported in 17.1% of children
- Approximately 17% of headache sufferers will take pain medication on a long term basis.
- Worldwide, a minority of people with headache disorders are diagnosed appropriately by a health-care provider.
- Headache has been underestimated, under-recognized and under-treated throughout the world.
Approximately 17% of headache sufferers will take pain medication on a long term basis. If you keep your painkillers close at hand (in the top drawer) you are probably one of these people. Whilst pain medication has its place to relieve symptoms in the short term, it does not correct the “problem”. Longer term doses can allow the problem to progress undiagnosed and uncorrected, and possibly lead to concerning side effects of that particular medication.
Common Headache Presentations to Chiros
Boline PD, Kassak K, Bronfort G, Nelson C, Anderson AV. Spinal Manipulation vs. Amitriptyline for the Treatment of Chronic Tension-type Headaches:
A Randomized Clinical Trial. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1995 (Mar); 18 (3): 148–154
The results of this study show that spinal manipulative therapy is an effective treatment for tension headaches and more effective than Amitriptyline therapy in the long term. Pain intensity, headache frequency and weekly intake of medications were significantly reduced. Amitriptyline was also associated with more side effects.
Research in 2011 revealed that chiropractic care was more effective in the shorter and longer term than other standard care for chronic tension-type headaches (Cephalalgia. 2011 Jan;31(2):133-43. Epub 2010 Jul 20)
The headache to do list
- Make sure your well hydrated and nourished (healthy food!)
- Check your posture and the time you spend at the desk/computer – we can advise you on posture and the ergonomic set up of your desk
- Be sure to keep mobile and stretch those tight upper back and neck muscles – we’ve got some easy routines for you.
- Exercise regularly – a combination of mobility (yoga), aerobic and strength (gym, Pilates) is the way to go.
- If you suffer from headaches regularly or frequently, get checked by your chiropractor for an accurate diagnosis, effective treatment and appropriate advice.
Call us at Yeronga Chiropractic on 38921440 to make an appointment or for any further information – we are here to help!
Leave a reply