Have a sweet tooth? You’re not alone. We totally get it!
Sometimes finding a balance between indulging in something deliciously sweet and looking after our bodies can be a significant test of will.
So what can you do? We asked our wonderful Naturopath Melissa, and she recommended the Magic Bean Cake!
So what are the health benefits of the Magic Bean Cake?
- Kidney beans are rich in various minerals, vitamins, fibres, antioxidants and other unique plant compounds – therefore they aid weight loss, promote colon health and moderate blood sugar levels
- Cacao powder is rich in polyphenols which has been linked to numerous health benefits including reduced inflammation, better blood flow and may assist in lowering blood pressure.
- Cinnamon is high in antioxidants, has many anti-inflammatory properties and is powerful in helping your body fight infections and repair tissue damage.
Not only can you feel less guilty eating cake now, but you’ll know it’s doing some good for you too.
The recipe is gluten free, nut free and high in protein, and can also be made dairy free if you swap out the butter for your choice of oil.
- 400g tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup cacao or good quality cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 125g softened butter (or 1/3 cup coconut oil)
- 1/2 tsp salt, sea or Himalayan
- 1/2 cup stevia (or raw sugar)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a 20cm round cake tin or cupcake pan
- Combine kidney beans, water, vanilla extract, coconut oil and 1-2 eggs in a food processor. Process for 5 minutes until smooth and aerated
- Add remaining ingredients and process for another minute, until well combined
- Pour into lined cake tin and bake for 20 minutes (cupcakes) – 40 minutes (cake). Keep an eye on the cake so it does not overcook. It will become firm on the top and start pulling away from the sides when ready
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly in tin before turning onto a cooling rack
- Dust with icing sugar to serve
Want to know more, or are you after some Naturopath-approved recipes? Get in touch with us and talk with our fabulous Naturopath Melissa!
Credit to the ABC Radio network for this recipe!Leave a reply